Suite 1000, Brunswick House
44 Chipman Hill
Saint John, N.B.
Language(s) spoken: English
Bar Admission(s): New Brunswick, 1981
Legal Assistant(s): Rosemary Bautista
Providing legal services through a professional corporation.
Jamie is one of Atlantic Canada’s most experienced and effective labour and employment lawyers. His practice is devoted to advising and representing employers on all aspects of employment and labour relations law. He has particular experience in construction labour relations, police labour relations and discipline, and workplace health and safety law. In 2007 – 2008, Jamie served as the employer representative on the provincially appointed Independent Review Panel that reviewed the New Brunswick workplace health, safety and compensation system. Some examples of the services Jamie has performed for his clients include:
- Successfully defending a challenge to the project labour agreement for the Confederation Bridge project;
- Acting as lead counsel for employer’s organizations in resisting a challenge to the Point Lepreau project labour agreement;
- Establishing a key precedent for employers with respect to the common employer provisions of New Brunswick’s labour legislation;
- Negotiating successive collective agreements for some of New Brunswick’s largest police services;
- Lead counsel on the first case resulting in the dismissal of a police officer under New Brunswick’s revised police discipline regime;
- Obtaining favourable results for New Brunswick’s largest police service in right to information requests;
- Obtaining acquittals for employers in charges under the Occupational Health and Safety Act;
- Successfully challenging the involvement of a provincial elected official in a workers compensation appeal;
- Obtaining cost relief for employers from claims experience under workers compensation legislation.